The center of Venice is Piazza San Marco,infact is the only place called "Piazza" the other squares are called "Campielli" "Campi" or "Campielli". The Basilica of San Marco is located in the center of the square, colored gold and covered with mosaics that tell the story of Venice, together with reliefs depicting the months of the year. Above the main door, there are the four bronze horses of Constantinople which were transported to Venice after the Fourth Crusade in 1204. This Church is the third recontruction which stands in this place: the first two were destroyed. It seems that this version was inspired by the Church of Holy Apostles in Constantinople. The interior is covered with mosaics on a gold background depicting allegorical and biblical passages. Initially, it was the chapel of the Doges of the Republic of Venice.
The Palazzo Ducale stands next to the Church joined from "Porta della Carta" , by Bartolomeo Bon, who today is the exit of the Museum of Palazzo Ducale. The main entrance is on the side facing the lagoon. Seat of Government of Venice, was built in the fifteenth century with Istrian marble. Here stood a castle, then set on fire to get out Peter IV Candiano who had found refuge during a riot. Now the palace is a museum, with artworks by the best Venetian artists: the Sansovino Library, located inside houses temporary exhibitions. To see the Hall of Great Council, which for centuries was the largest seat of government of the world, the Bridge of Sighs and the Prisons.
Opposite the Palazzo Ducale is the bell tower of San Marco, built in 1173 as a beacon for sailors, was restored by Bartolomeo Bon in the fifteenth century. Collapsed July 14, 1902 and was rebuilt. The red Verona marble loggia is a work of Jacopo Sansovino, and on it are the bas-reliefs depicting allegories with companies from the Republic of the Lion.
Another symbol of the city is the Rialto bridge by Antonio da Ponte, was built in 1591. Was the only way to cross the Grand Canal on foot: in fact, remained the only bridge until 1854, when the Accademia Bridge was built (which were added after the Scalzi Bridge and the bridge of the Constitution). On the sides of the central body are luxury shops and at the end of the bridge in San Polo district, the picturesque fish market and the church of San Giacomo di Rialto.
Other important monuments are the Venetian Arsenal, the basilica of Santa Maria della Salute, the basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, the synagogues of the Ghetto.
Venice is also famous for its coffee houses. Imported from the Ottoman Empire about 1615, since 1683 many cafes spread throughout the city. On December 29, 1720 was opened the famous Caffè Florian, still active in Piazza San Marco, under the New Magistrates in 1775 was the time instead of the equally famous Caffè Quadri.